Thursday, December 10, 2009

PLEEASE help, homeschooled and behind!?!?

i'm 15, 10th grade. i feel overloaded with school work because i fell behind, from things happening in my family, such as my family taking in my cousin, and me, mentally. i am bipolar, and have racing thoughts, can't sit still, get manic highs, and manic lows, and have a hard time getting to sleep at night. i have a hard time sitting down and focusing on one thing. i'm having a real hard time with biology, i don't understand what the book is trying to teach me, and i have a hard time with algebra, but i'm getting help there. but i feel stupid because i just can't do anything. please don't say go back to public school, because thats where i got my problems, and i'm not going back to that torture chamber. but am i stupid, or is there something wrong with me? how can i be able to concentrate, and catch up? PLEEASE help, i really need it, i'm SO stressed, i'm in tears constantly, please help, thnx!!!



xoxo,



Mychie



PLEEASE help, homeschooled and behind!?!?comedy show



Maybe you're trying to do too much at once and should put a few subjects aside so you can focus. Make a list of the topics from your biology book that you need to cover, then head for the library. You might find that reading other books will help. Start off with the easy kiddie books, then when you're comfortable with that information, read some that are aimed at an older age. Each one will build on what you know already. The important part is the content. It doesn't matter which book it comes out of. I assume you are supposed to be answering questions from your text book. If you've learned properly from somewhere else, you'll still be able to come back and answer those particular questions. Start off with the topics that seem most relevent to you, then move on to those that seem trickier. For example, start off with the human body, then move onto other mammals, then other animals, then plants. Start planting a garden. The plant kingdom will seem more relevent if you can compare what you are learning from the books with what you can observe in your gardening. You may have a community garden close by where you'll find someone who can explain those things to you.



PLEEASE help, homeschooled and behind!?!?greek theater opera theater



Your parents need to intervene here.



You shouldnt be feeling this overwhemled.



Are they leaving you to learn by yourself?



Maybe they should consider getting you a private tutor, to get you back on track?
The truth is that not everyone is good at everything. Your weakness is biology and algebra. My weakness is chemistry I can't do chemistry for the life of me. so don't get too upset algebra and biology are hard, they are tough subjects, and maybe they just aren't your subjects. My best advice is try the best you can to get through them, even maybe get a tutor to help.
Are you taking any medication to help even things out with the bipolar disorder? If you can't slow down your thoughts to focus, you are going to continue to have problems. I also agree with the person that said to put aside a couple of subjects for now and focus on just one that you find difficult. Algebra is a process and once you learn the basics of that process, they just build on it. If you can grasp Algebra, it will help you immensely in your other math subjects over the next couple of years. I wish I could offer you more help than that, but I don't know much about bipolar. I do know that taking the right meds at the right dosage can help a lot and if you're not happy with how you are feeling, go to the doc and tell them. Without proper treatment, that will continue to interfere with your life. I wish you the best of luck.
hippocampus.org has an interactive tutorial you could use as a resource to help you achieve clarity. It is really cool because you can just go over it as many times as you need to, and you can read the info and hear it at the same time, which helps some people retain information.
I am also homeschooled. You don't need to feel alone. Two years ago my parents decided to take me out of public school and now I am in 8th grade.



The same thing also happens to me. I feel overworked, distracted, and hopeless. You are NOT alone. What helps me get through it is talking to otherr homeschoolers. My best friend is homeschooled too, and I talk to her about it. Do you have a friend that you can talk to?



I also went through a period where I was depressed from itt. I was always in my room crying and thinking about my hoplessness. It's OK to feel this way. I am now over those feelings though. Just focus on the positives.



Only a liitle while longer and you'll be done with yet another year. and, 2 more years and you'll be graduated. Just cuz you are having a hard time in something, it is not the end of the world!



Good Luck. And Stay positive!!
CALM DOWN sweetie. You need to see a counselor ASAP to help you get a grip and then you need to realize that while it is GOOD to advance, part of the beauty of homeschool is that you can also take MORE time if you want/need it. Let me know if I can help you, I homeschool my kids-it is OK to be ahead in some areas, but it is also OK to take a break and center yourself- PLEASE do not push yourself to breaking
When you are stressed and anxious your brain can not work efficiently and learning is more difficult. You are not stupid, you are just momentarily overwhelmed. Don't worry about how long it takes to catch up. If you take it a little bit at a time you will slowly and steadily get to where you want to be. It is not a race! Work on your problems, let your home life settle down a little, and everything will get much, much easier.



The hippocampus.org site that the pp mentioned is great, check it out!
What you described sounded very familiar to me. Although I also suffer from depression and anxiety disorders, when i was medicated for those alone my symptoms did not go away. I learned later on that I was ADD/ADHD. Many people think of ADD as just hyper, bad kids. I was always very well behaved and got good grades. However, I was never able to focus on anything. Ask your parents to take you to a psychologist to be screened for ADD.
You are home schooling, so how can you be behind?



You can work at your own pace, and adjust it to the changing needs that may arise.



Home schooling is all about individual attention, slowing down when needed, and focusing on the area's that need extra attention.



I would recommend taking a break, take a deep breath, re-evaluate and set up a schedule that will help you get back on track.



Even if it takes you five years to finish your high school program that is okay.



I would not tell you to go back to public school, that would defeat the whole purpose of getting you a program/schedule that is solely tailored to you, and your special needs.



Have your family help you set this up, or get someone to work on it with you until you feel comfortable enough to take charge of it yourself again.



You can also look into taking classes at a alternative school, or community college for the subjects that you need extra help with, many home schooled students take such classes while finishing their high school course work.
I know how you feel....been there.....send me an e-mail and tell me what you're working on right now. I'll do what I can to help out. Will be up for a little bit longer tonight, and back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
trojan