Thursday, December 10, 2009

How to deal with my overbearing mother who wants to move in when my baby is born?

I'm TOTALLY stressed by things my mother says. She has joked for several years that "as soon as you have your baby, I'm going to be there to catch it and run away with it!"...She likes to joke that she's just going to hold it ALL the time. Lately, she's been informing me (every couple weeks) that as soon as I have a baby, she's going to be moving in with me for a few weeks to "help" me.



I'm SO stressed about this. I feel like I won't even get to touch my baby while my mother is there. I can't imagine a more stressful way to being motherhood than getting all upset about not being able to hold my baby when I want to.



How do I deal with this? Am I being unreasonable?



How to deal with my overbearing mother who wants to move in when my baby is born?theater



She's excited, which is understandable. However, she can't just move in with you unless you want her there. When the time comes, acknowledge that you understand how excited she is and that she means well. Then gently explain that it will be a stressful time, and while you'd welcome some help, having an extra person there 24/7 would be too much for you to handle. My husband and I had to tell my mother-in-law that we need time to adjust to being parents in our own way, and having an extra person there would be too overwhelming. Plus, we don't really have the room for her to stay here.



Does she live nearby? She can always come over and visit for a little while each day.



Above all else, YOU will be the baby's mother and what you say goes.



I don't think you're being unreasonable. I've had many people tell me that maybe I'd want the extra pair of hands around the house, but I know myself and I know I need private time with my husband and new baby.



Good luck.



How to deal with my overbearing mother who wants to move in when my baby is born?london theatre opera theater



aww isn't your mama sweet? I don't think your going to have a problem she just wants to help she will respect the mother/infant relationship.
well hopefully your mom is just teasing you and really won't be that overbearing. if you're a single mom you'll need the help. you'll be exhausted and it'll be hard to move around. if she does move in just let her know whenever you want to spend some quality time with the baby by yourself. if you don't speak up you might start feeling some resentment towards your mom.
Is this your moms 1st grandchild? She is very excited! Its o.k. When the baby comes you will be thankful your mom is around to help. Especially when you need to sleep. Most moms tend to be sleep deprived when they have a new little one. My mom was such a big help. She helped prepare dinners,let me get some much needed rest,and you can never give a baby too much love! Count your blessings that you have a mom to help you. Dont worry so much, you will still bond with your new baby and it sounds like your mom is excited to be a grand-ma.
Aawww%26lt; your mother just loves you thats all. Trust me, after you have your baby you will be glad she is there to help. It can be a tough job.
This may just ber her way of expressing her excitement over the baby....she probably does not intend to hold the baby 24/7



However, you need to have a conversation with her now to find out what she intends.If she is planning on moving in, and you don't want that, you need to be honest with her and tell her exactly how you feel. Enlist you husbands help if need be.



You WILL need some help....so make her day and allow her to help you in ways that make you feel comfortable.



Good Luck
OMG....... STOP her at once do not let her move in ....this will be the biggest mistake of your life......I am expecting in 3 months and my M.I.L is extremely over bearing but thank god she has not suggested to move in I would not be responsible for whatever may happen to her if this occured...LOL. NO NO NO... YOU must stand your ground and be firm with her ...this is YOUR baby NOT hers and she has lived he life already raising you and your siblings(if any). she needs to just take a back seat and just enjoy being the GRANDMOTHER!!!!!...not the mother!!!! .and hell no you are not being unreasonable. I know some friends who's mother or M.I.L moved in for a "few" weeks and it caused so much stress and heartache for the husband, ... mother and baby.... Please place barb wire around the perimeter of your house to keep her out if you have to!!!!! Also I am sur eyou are quite capable of raisng your child well and you have your husband there to help, it can be tiring but you dont need a university degree to be a good loving mum it should come natural with the maternal instincts....GOOD LUCK and congratualtions!.
Once you bring your new baby home, you will be MORE then happy for the extra help...and be grateful that your mom IS there to help.?? You will be VERY tired...new babies are a 24 hour a day job... they eat every 2 hours? (wake you UP more then that).... they need constant holding and rocking and diaper changes and FEEDINGS... trust me ---STOP worrying and relax and stop stressing..... your mother will probably only stay a week anyway--that's all they usually stay----and you WILL be grateful for her--- MY mom came the day I brought my son home.... but NOT to help ME. She helped herself to my HUSBAND and the two of them went up for opening day at the race track..... when the racing finished for the day---she dropped off my husband and never came in the house---HOWEVER, 2 days later she was BEGGING me to drive to HER house to bring the baby to HER... nice huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
trojan