Thursday, December 10, 2009

Easing my mind about next semester?

Alright I'm going to be starting my sophmore year of college this fall, and I'm already soo stressed about it. My major is accounting, and I kind of missed the boat last year with managerial and financial accounting. I know it's because I hardly ever did the homework [because all my life I got straight A's with no effort, so I was expecting college to be the same...I was wrong!! Also accounting is different than the "bookkeeping" they taught in high school]. Anyways I'm already stressing about next year....does anyone have any tips on how to not be so worried about it? Do you think if I put the proper time and effort into my classes I'll be okay, even though I kind of slipped through last year by getting help from everyone?



Easing my mind about next semester?greek theater



great news! you're only going to be a sophomore! you will have plenty of time to make up what you missed. my roommate majored in accounting and you should really get yourself on a schedule of when to read, do homework, etc. it's very helpful coming from someone who made the same mistake as you. if you fall behind anymore this year just plan on taking some summer classes next summer (some community colleges still have summer classes that you can register for) just be aware that summer classes are very intense since they have to pack an entire semester into a few short weeks. If summer classes aren't for you then just plan on overloading spring semester or taking more credit hours than you normally would.



one more suggestion, pick ONE hour a day to just sit there and read your textbook or whatever it is you need to do and i promise you'll be better off than if you just do your assignment and turn it in. you'll feel better about yourself too! GOOD LUCK!



Easing my mind about next semester?performing arts show opera theater



Sounds like your stress is a mix of guilt and remorse about what you did (and did not) do as a freshman. But it also sounds like you are smart and capable, so let the stress go.



Learn from your mistakes and don't make them again. Some suggestions: maybe take a little lighter course load and concentrate on doing as well as possible to bring your grades up. Plan right from the beginning to have better study habits -- you know what didn't work already so don't let yourself slip into the same bad habits.



Find a study buddy who is serious -- doesn't need to be in the same major, just someone who studies carefully and thoroughly and make study dates with that person.



Pick a spot in the library or somewhere on campus where you purposely go to STUDY and go there on a set routine -- every day if possible. If you are there and you find your mind wandering, get up and take a brief walk or get a coffee but DO NOT sit there and chat on the phone or surf the web or anything else. You want to train yourself that this space means "focus and study."



You can do it. Lots of people start off slowly but many of them go on to become very good students. Keep busy with other things this summer so you aren't obsessing or you'll make yourself crazy. Or maybe go through some of your texts and exercises from last year and redo them thoughtfully and thoroughly so you'll be primed for the new year in the fall.
College is like a full time job; you have to do the work. You'll be fine, but you DEFINITELY have to put in the time. If you make the decision to commit to that now, then the stress will start to melt away because you'll know what you need to do to be successful. Enjoy the rest of your summer!
if you're taking classes that are a continuation of the classes you didn't do so well in, I definitely recommend brushing up on those before the semester starts - go over the chapters from last semester, go over your notes, etc. when the new semester starts, if you're having trouble, meet with your professors/TAs during office hours, don't be afraid to use the tutoring center and study study study. I would guess in a major like accounting the classes build off each other, so if you are lost in one class, you'll be even more lost in the next one. so make sure you really learn the material.



I kind of struggled during my first year of college too because I breezed through high school. luckily by my sophomore year I learned how to study in college and my grades improved and I ended up graduating with honors but just barely. so definitely take your studying seriously. school comes first. your tuition is an awful lot of money to waste if you're not going to get everything you can out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
trojan